Give a brief overview of what your business does, why it’s unique, and why it matters. Jessica Reagan Salzman is the founder of Heart Based Bookkeeping, which she opened in January of 2006. For over twenty years, Jess has managed the financial aspects of a wide variety of small businesses. I am what I consider myself to be a “lifestyle marketer”. I market a couple of wonderful, affordable services that have an income-earning opportunity attached (i.e. MLM).
Story-based marketing clarifies, captures attention, and draws your ideal target prospect into your world. Once you’ve settled on your final elevator pitch, practice it out loud. Work on your inflection and ability to engage your audience.
Business owners love Patriot’s accounting software. So when I’m helping you in your business, I also take pride in knowing that I’m also helping those that you are helping. It’s neat to know that the work I do to help you make your business better helps all of those who also need what your business has to offer them. It was about helping someone find what they needed in the first aid aisle. It was about making sure someone’s precious photographs were developed the way they wanted them so they could present their loved one with the perfect gift. It was about helping someone get the prescription they needed, even if there was a blizzard raging outside and we needed to close the story early.
I told her she needs to think about what clients she wants to attract before she jumps into any sort of business. He really knows who he wanted to serve, which helped him write https://xero-accounting.net/ an effective Brand Shake that spoke to his ideal client. He shared with me that he would much rather work with just a few businesses rather than one hundred individual people.
Exclusive Investor Content
Jess’s journey has given her profound first-hand insight into the vast array of issues that small business owners must face both in business and in life. Her experiences have empowered her and given her an incredible set of lessons whose gifts she can access when assisting her clients. You can also use your elevator pitch to introduce yourself at networking events and mixers. If you’re attending professional association programs and activities, or any other type of gathering, have your pitch ready to share with those you meet.
The name “elevator pitch” comes from being able to introduce, or pitch, yourself in the span of an elevator ride. Your actual pitch can run anywhere from 15 to 90 seconds. I specialize in helping people get their strength back after recovering from a serious illness or injury. I work with people in their homes, and I also have a gym with Gyrotonic equipment, which is really great for building flexibility and strength without putting strain on your joints.
Examples of a 30-Second Elevator Pitch
As long as you’ve demonstrated your value and knowledge, you’re still in with a chance. Earning a prospect’s respect is never a waste of time. However, there are times when you know you’re going to meet a bunch of lawyers, or designers, or brewers.
What is an elevator pitch quiz?
Answer: A clear, concise presentation of your product or idea in a short amount of time, usually less than 30 seconds.
An important part of the email elevator pitch is explaining how you got the person’s email address and why you are contacting them. At a career fair, you don’t want to deliver a five minute speech about your entire life as the hiring manager peaks behind you to see how much their line has built up. For example, if you’re speaking to someone at a smaller company, firm, or not-for-profit, you obviously want to pinpoint how something specific in their organization aligns with what you have to offer. Or, if you’re aware that they value one type of qualification or skill over another, focus on an accomplishment that highlights that. The best thing you can do for yourself to make sure that your pitch sounds as coherent and natural as possible is to practice, practice, practice. Read it aloud and take note of the areas that may sound too formal, awkward, or may just be too much of a run-on sentence.
What to Avoid in an Elevator Pitch
I’m happy to report that once the lab opened, it doubled the production capacity for the company. This saved the company $1.6 million with no impact on customer satisfaction and no loss of jobs. I was working on a project I’m particularly proud of as VP of finance for a company where the drivers were charging a lot of overtime and eating up company profits.
- We are currently interviewing for an IT consultant who will increase our capacity and position our company for growth through partnerships, subcontracting, and Federal GSA contracting.
- Try it out and if you have any questions feel free to email me the results and I’ll take a look.
- What are the qualifications and skills that you need to make this happen?
- Also, think of potential for growth not just as a way to get ahead for yourself, but also ways that you can help the company expand or improve.
- Now that you have an idea of what you should and should not include in your elevator pitch, you’re ready to think about the actual delivery.
- We’ll show you how TaxExact works with your existing tax software to verify accuracy, manage workflow, and dramatically reduce review time.
Founded in 1919, Beta Alpha Psi is an honor organization for financial information students and professionals. There are over 300 chapters on college and university campuses with over 300,000 members initiated since Beta Alpha Psi’s formation.
How to Sharpen your Elevator Pitch – Before & After Examples
Talk about solutions to common problems the prospect might have. And elevator pitch for accountants make that solution sound as painless to implement as you can.
- It may turn into a conversation in which you learn about the employer or company while they learn about you.
- I am also an effective communicator with a knack for persuasive storytelling to help facilitate program or project completion, while gaining stakeholder buy-in.
- It’ll get boring for you and it’ll sound wooden to your prospects.
- The time of the elevator ride was a natural stopping point for the pitch, usually ending between 20 to 60 seconds later.
- Probably some bookkeeping and accounting work, too.
- Give a brief description of the service you provide.